FP: Optimism in Indonesia
by Guinandra Jatikusumo
A positive article about Indonesia’s economy in Foreign Policy. Highlights:
1. Steady growth rate: 4-6% per year. Inflation rate is maintained at an 8% level.
2. By 2030, 90% of Indonesia’s fast-growing cities will be located outside the island of Java.
3. Interestingly, 50% of Indonesia’s GDP comes from services (emphasis on financial services).
4. Unlike most developing countries, the increasing level of local consumption promotes growth more than exports do. Also read this.
5. It is expected that in 2030, Indonesia’s economy will be on par with that of Germany and the United Kingdom.
Irrelevant side note: They are bringing Les Miserables the musical to your local cinemas.